This page describes how to take a QuestionMark Perception test. Invigilated exams are generally started via the ExamStart portal. Other types of test are usually started from Blackboard, or possibly from an emailed web link.
Finding the right exam if you are using ExamStart
- Log in to a public workstation with the username ‘exam’, with no password.
- Click the ‘Accept’ button below the Academic Integrity statement in order to proceed to the next screen.
- Enter your University username and password, if you have done this correctly you will see a facsimile of your University library card.
- Proceed to the next screen where you will be asked to select the type of software for your exam – select ‘Perception’
- Click the link to the exam you wish to take.
Finding the right exam if you are not using ExamStart
The webpage you visit is decided by your course tutor, so this first step is an example of where to find the right exam.
If you would like to follow this description step by step, please see the Perception example exam link on the right hand side
- When you enter the examination room you will find a rubric sheet with exact instructions of where to find your exam
- Normally this involves going to http://blackboard.soton.ac.uk, logging in and going to the course related to the exam
- A shortcut will be placed in the menu or announcements of your course (remember, that this link may not appear until your scheduled exam start time)
- Clicking on this link will take you to the Perception login page
Starting the exam
- In the ‘Participant Login’ box type your University username and password
- A box should appear asking you to open or save launch.qmsb
- Click on ‘Open’ and then ‘OK’ to any pop up boxes asking whether to launch the secure browser
- If nothing happens after 30 seconds refresh the page or press ‘Click here if redirected’
Ending the exam
You may or may not have to answer every question before submitting your exam. The rubric at the start of the exam will explain whether this applies to you.
- At the end of the exam click on the ‘Submit’ button
- You might be asked to confirm you wish to submit and end your exam or, if you have answered all questions, the exam will submit
- Press ‘OK’ and wait for a message to say your exam has been submitted
- If you have ended your exam before the time limit you will need to show the invigilator your exam submission screen
- Close the secure browser
- If a message appears asking you to update the Questionmark Secure Browser select ‘Cancel’
- Log out of Windows
If you run out of time during your exam the software will tell you that your answers will be automatically submitted, and then will submit your work for you.