This guide explains how to create a qualitative rubric. A qualitative rubric allows you to provide feedback to students based on a number of criteria and scale items, but without associating any scoring with this feedback.
Note that in order to create a new rubric, you will need to have access to at least one Turnitin assignment. This can be on any of your Blackboard courses. Rubrics are attached to your user account rather than to a specific course.
Access Control Panel
1. Browse to a Blackboard course with a Turnitin assignment on it, and then click on Control Panel –> Turnitin Assignments.
Click on assignment name
2. Click on one of the Turnitin assignment listed so that you can see the assignment inbox.
Click on Libraries
3. Click on ‘Libraries’
Click on ‘Rubric / Form Manager’
4. Click on the ‘Rubric Form / Manager’ link.
Click on the ‘hamburger’ button
5. Click on the ‘hamburger’ button shown in the screenshot, and then choose ‘Create new rubric’
Select ‘0’ to create a qualitative rubric
6. Scroll to the bottom of the blank rubric and select the ‘0’ icon. This setting dictates that you wish to create a qualitative rubric, which will have no scoring associated with it.
Enter rubric name, and ‘save’
7. Scroll to the top of the rubric and click on the text ‘Enter rubric name here’. This text will change to a text box. Use the text box to enter the name of your rubric. Once you have entered the name of your rubric, scroll to the bottom of the rubric again and click on ‘save’ in the lower right hand corner of your rubric.
8. Edit your criteria titles by clicking on ‘Criterion 1’ and typing the title for your first criteria. Repeat this until you have all the criteria you require. Note that when adding criteria, the title is limited to 13 characters.
Add or delete criteria
9. Note that you can add new criteria using the ‘+’ icon, and delete criteria using the rubbish bin icon.
Edit scale items
10. Edit your scale item titles by clicking on ‘Scale 1’ and typing the title for your first scale item. Repeat this until you have all the scale items you require.
Add or delete scale items
11. Note that you can add additional scale items using the ‘+’ icon, and delete scale items using the rubbish bin icon.
12. To add a descriptor to your rubric, click in the relevant cell and add the descriptor for the relevant criteria/scale.
13. Once you have entered all of your criteria, scale items, and descriptors, scroll to the bottom of the rubric and click on ‘Save’.