As you use your Blackboard course you may find that you received achievements in the form of certificates or badges.
If allowed by the course instructor you may publish your achievement to the third party Mozilla Backpack service. This is maintained by Mozilla foundation and is not a University service. Publishing your achievements to Backpack allows you to keep a record of achievements earned at the University of Southampton as well as achievements from other providers such as MOOCs, professional training, and charities. You can publish your badges from Backpack to your LinkedIn profile to increase your visible potential to future employers.
To use Open Backpack you are required to have a Mozilla Persona account. Mozilla has announced that they are deprecating their Persona service. They have not stated how Open Backpack could be used following the deprecation of Persona.
What can you achieve?
1. You can view what achievements may be possible by clicking on the achievements menu in your course (if your instructor has added this menu) or by clicking on Tools and then achievements.
2. When viewing achievements that you have not yet earned you can click on the noted icons to
1) see what the requirements are to be awarded the achievements
2) the details of the achievement
3. When you unlock an achievement you will be immediately notified within Blackboard. Click on View Now.
4. If you have received a certificate you may print it by clicking on the print icon.
5. To print the certificate click on Print Certificate.
6. If you have received a badge and if publishing to Backpack has been allowed by the course instructor, you can click on the publish to backpack icon. In our testing we have found that it is necessary to use Mozilla Firefox to succeed with publishing to Mozilla Backpack.
7. Follow the onscreen instructions as you are taken to Backpack.
8. Click Yes to Accept the badge.
9. Your badge has now been published to Mozilla Backpack.