This page explains how to create a folder in Panopto for students to record presentations into. The student will need to log into Panopto to record the sessions. Sessions can be recorded as many times as necessary and can be edited.
For an assessment, students are required to give a group or individual presentation. There are too many students to record during teaching time, so you ask students to record a Panopto video before a deadline. You create a Panopto folder that allows all students on your associated Blackboard course to record or upload a video. Students use their computer or phone to record the presentation and upload it to Panopto. The student watches back their presentation and can choose to edit it or delete it and record again. When the deadline occurs, the tutor moves the recordings out of the student folders to ensure that students can no longer change their videos.
This scenario is preferred for
- When finding rooms would be difficult for a large class size
- Presentations filmed out on location
- Classes where it is felt that an academic presence would hinder the students’ performance
- Presentations that may require editing
How to set up the above scenario
Please note: A provisioned Blackboard course is required to follow this guide.
- Open the Panopto administration website https://coursecast.soton.ac.uk
- If you don’t see a menu down the left-hand side, click on “Show all sessions”
- The main Panopto administration website should now be visible. Make sure the folders drop down box says “My Folders”
- Select the Blackboard course that you wish to upload the video into
- In the top right-hand corner click on the settings cog
- On the page that appears click “Create assignment folder”
This will create a new subfolder called “Your Course Name [Assignments]” that your students can record into.
At the assignment deadline
It is important that instructors move the video files out of the assignments folder. Otherwise it will continue to be possible to delete or edit recordings after the deadline.