You can request a Blackboard Programme Course to hold programme level information and communication. Students can be auto-enrolled and the course will appear under a separate heading on the Blackboard Home page. A Programme Course does not hold any assessment data.
How are students enrolled on a Programme Course?
- Staff and students can be auto-enrolled onto Programme Courses via their Banner, programme codes. When you request the course*, include the programme codes, and years, that will be associated with the Programme Course, and we will set up auto-enrolment. The enrolment feed will be updated daily to match programme enrolments in Banner.
- Course set-up and enrolments will suit your programme delivery and your definition of a “Programme”. In some areas, one course can be set up for all students in a department, or you could have separate courses for particular groups of programmes, year groups etc.
- The course name and ID will not contain a year – the course will not need to roll over each year. New students will be enrolled on the course via the enrolment feed from Banner & old enrolments will be dropped.
What is a Programme Course for?
- A Programme course helps to give your programme an identity and sense of community.
- Course Announcements & emails can be used for communication with the programme cohort.
- Use Blackboard collaboration tools such as discussion boards and Collaborate – MS Teams integration will soon be available in Blackboard.
- The course can be a place to gather the information that is otherwise repeated in module courses, on Faculty Hubs (programme specific), delivered via other arbitrary courses, or sent via email attachments.
- Some suggested content areas could include:
- Academic Integrity
- Paperwork & regulations
- Programme specification
- Module outlines
- Staff Information
- Links to related societies and student reps
- Assessment information
- Sources of help and support
- Study skills
- Key dates
- A Programme course should not include assessment. If you want to merge separate Banner module courses into a single Blackboard teaching course, please see this guide.
- The course will appear under a separate heading “Programme Information” on the Blackboard Home page.
- Course ID will start with PROG-.
- You can define the course name to suit the programme.
- If you are in the All Courses view, Programme Courses are listed under the Term – Programme Information. To group your Courses list by Term see this guide.
We already have an arbitrary course for programme information – can we set up an auto-enrolment & Home Page listing?
Many areas already have a successful Programme course.
- Sent a request (see below) with the existing course ID and name and we can auto-enrol your students and list the course to the Home Page under “Programme Information”.
*How do I request a Programme course?
- Open a ServiceLine ticket with the description – Blackboard Programme Course request.
- Course Name.
- Suggested course ID .
- School or department.
- 1 member of staff to be added as an instructor.
- Related programme codes for enrolment – with year groups if required.
- Let us know if you would like to speak to a member of Education Application Support for advice.
Programme course – design guides
The programme course template comes with a course banner. If you want to change or edit the banner, you can download this template (includes instructions on saving and uploading a new course banner image). Programme course – banner template