As part of an online assessment, you may be asked to upload handwritten workings, notes, or drawings.
This guide will take you through the steps to scan your notes and save them to a PDF format, ready to upload to Blackboard or eAssignment. You are advised to practice these steps ahead of an assessment.
1. Prepare your handwritten notes
- Include your student ID and the page number at the top of each page. Do not include your name as marking may be anonymous.
- Number your answers clearly to correspond to the assessment questions.
2. Scan to PDF using a mobile device
You can scan your notes and save as a PDF using a mobile phone and a scanning app.
- Microsoft mobile apps : One Drive or Office Lens.
- But you can also use Apple iOS Notes App or the Google Drive app
To Scan Using One Drive or Office Lens :
- Lay the notes flat on a well lit surface.
- Ensure the background contrasts to your pages so the scanning app can find the edges of the paper.
- Open OneDrive or Office Lens and choose to capture a Document
- Frame your notes carefully
- Add each page of your finished work and then select Done
- Give the file a meaningful Title.
- Select Save to : PDF (If using Office Lens)
- Save to OneDrive Files
Follow this link for more information on using the OneDrive mobile app
3. Save the PDF to a folder you can access from your computer.
If you are using One Drive or Office Lens apps, you can save directly to :
- OneDrive* – OneDrive is your personal online storage drive where you can save, edit, share, and download files. To access your OneDrive log into your Office 365 account from any device using your University email and password. If you have used Office Lens, you will find your file in the OneDrive/Office Lens folder.
- From the OneDrive screen, or if you opt to save to local phone storage, you can share the PDF file and add it as an email attachment or save it to a folder on your computer, such as Google Drive, or iCloud.
* Find out more about how to make the most of OneDrive and Office 365 at the Office 365 Support Centre